Skip to main content
What To Expect
- Please talk to your doctor about any daily medications you are currently taking. Be sure to mention any over the counter medications, including herbal supplements.
- Do not eat or drink anything (including water) after 12:00 AM (midnight) unless your physician instructs you differently.
- Take a bath or shower the night before or morning of the surgery.
- Brush your teeth but do not swallow the water.
- Refrain from smoking the evening prior and do not drink alcohol 24 hours before surgery.
THE DAY OF SURGERY
- It is important that you arrive promptly at the scheduled time.
- We encourage you to ask any questions you might have.
- Let the staff know of any special needs you might have.
- Bring a picture ID and insurance cards with you. Bring forms (pre-op orders, history and physical copies of labs and EKG) from your physician if requested.
- If you are taking prescription medications, bring your medications or a complete list of your medications, including the dosage and frequency.
- Arrange for a family member or friend to wait in the waiting room. You must have a responsible person to drive you home and make any necessary stops at the pharmacy after your surgery.
- Do not wear make-up.
- Valuables (i.e. all jewelry and money) should be left at home.
- You may wear glasses, but no contact lenses.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and shoes.
- Dizziness is normal after receiving anesthesia; therefore you should wait 24 hours after returning home before:
- Driving or operating equipment
- Signing important papers
- Making significant decisions
- Drinking alcoholic beverages
- Taking any medications that are not prescribed or acknowledged by your surgeon
- Be sure to follow any specific post operative instructions given to you by your physician regarding diet, exercise, rest, activities, and medication. A written summary of these will be provided to you prior to your release.
- Notify your doctor if you notice any abnormalities at the operative site.